Monday, April 26, 2010

Recipe: Spaghetti Carbonara alla Mario


This is one of my favorites! We have a lot of spaghetti noodles (we like to buy a large package of wheat ones from Costco--they're seriously taste so much better than normal ones!) and I love spaghetti and all (especially her easy spaghetti recipe!), but I wanted to try something different. So the other day I did!
This one is from the Food Nanny and let me say this dish is delish! ;)

Spaghetti Carbonara alla Mario

8 oz uncooked spaghetti noodles
2 eggs
8 strips of bacon or 2 slices pancetta (Italian bacon), diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, eat the eggs in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until it is cooked through but not crisp. Remove it from the pan and drain it on paper towels. Leave bacon fat in pan and add the olive oil. Heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, just until you smell the aroma. Careful not to burn garlic. Remove from heat. Return bacon to the pan.
4. When spaghetti is cooked, lift it out of the water with tongues and put it in the saucepan with the bacon. Measure 2 cups of pasta water and discard the rest. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour the hot pasta water over the spaghetti and use tongs to turn the spaghetti over several times. Add the beaten egg and continue stirring quickly to cook the egg.
5. When the water is almost evaporated, add the salt, black pepper and cheese. Stir until well-mixed. When the cheese is mostly melted, take the pan off the heat.
6. Divide the carbonara between four plates and serve immediately. Pass the crushed red pepper.
Serve with Italian bread and a green vegetable or salad of your choice....and, of course, ENJOY!

3 comments:

blogschmog said...

Funny, I just did a shout out to the Nanny in my blog today, too! I've got the fired up macaroni in the oven right now. Can't wait! It's soooooooo naughty. I'm gonna try that Carbonara next week.

JillandMauricio said...

Okay so loved the southwest pasta and the chocolate chip scones. I also loved this one. Thanks for posting these. It has made dinner more fun with all the different things.

Tamara Lyn said...

Good, Jill! I'm so glad. ;) I'll keep posting as far as my packing allows me! :D