Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pie in the sky


I got this delicious pizza dough recipe from my friend, Melanie. :) I haven't found a pizza dough quite as tasty as this one! It does tend to be a bit dense, so if anyone knows of a recipe that has lighter dough (but still tastes as good), please share! The pizza in the pic has BB-Que sauce, cooked chicken chunks, bacon (cooked and broken into pieces) and pineapple. The pizza dough is raw here...it rises a lot when it's baked. I like putting the ingredients under the cheese so they don't dry out as it bakes.
It's fun to make pizzas with the kids because they love to add their own toppings; and honestly I do too! :D This recipe makes one large pizza, or you could split it up into a few individual sized pizzas.

PIZZA DOUGH
Preheat oven to 425; Spray pizza pan

3/4 c warm water
1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
Put warm water in bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Sprinkle salt on top of yeast. Wait a few minutes for yeast to melt down a little.

3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp olive (or other) oil
1 egg
Add ingredients to yeast mixture and stir for one minute.

2 c flour (+/-)
Add up to one more cup of flour. Knead dough 6-10 minutes. Use flour to spread on pizza pan. Add preferred sauce and toppings. Bake 425 for 10-15 minutes, or until crust is browned.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Yay!! So glad you love this recipe and use it often. We do homemade pizza almost every Sunday night! I've always used canola oil, but I should try olive oil next time. Oh, and I always put in a little less sugar...3TB seems like a lot to me. We LOVE PIZZA!

Tamara Lyn said...

Pizza IS delicious! :D I don't dare lessen the sugar. HA! It's so tasty as it is! Thank you for sharing the recipe! Where'd you get it, by the way? It's fabulous! :D