Thursday, April 22, 2010

HOT TAMALES!

Yesterday I met up with a couple of friends to make tamales. We began at 9 a.m. and when I left at 7:30 p.m. they weren't quite finished! :D It was a looooong grueling process, but fun...although my back hurts like nothing else from it. ;)

This is Lauri (in the apron). I'll just say she's AMAZING in the kitchen. Boss. I worked with her (standing where the chick in black is) extracting juice from New Mexican chilies.

Rebecca and Allison worked the masa...hours of kneading while I poured stuff in. Fun times.

The end process, putting them together. It's the easiest, but takes so loooooooooooooong. I had to leave mine to steam for 1 1/2 hours...I hope I can get them today! :D
We decided to name ourselves the "Hot Tamales" and make our own aprons and everything...and although I won't be here to make them tamales with them again, I'll still be part of the club. ;) And who knows, maybe I'll start my own Hot Tamale club in Pennsylvania! :D

3 comments:

blogschmog said...

How the heck did you spend that much time there with kids?

Tamara Lyn said...

lol, they hung out and played with the other kids...I took Christian home at 6 pm and he passed out in my lap then woke up and barfed...he'd been going all day w/out a nap...he's done it a couple times before. Odd child...has always really needed his nap, although he only naps a couple times a day now, he needs a break on full/busy days. ;)

Tamara Lyn said...

I meant to say he naps a couple times a week. HA! Whateva. You know what I mean.