Sunday, April 4, 2010

Recipe: Delicious Chicken Tacos


I've discovered the BESTEST and TASTIEST way to make tacos! Alan is one who will eat anything I make and be satisfied, sending a, "Thank you, hon," my way as he goes to rinse his dish...But when I made these for the first time he groaned and said something to the effect of, "It makes me want to cry to know we've never eaten this before." ;)

Last year (2009) my oldest sister, Francine, gave all us girls--her three sisters and our mom--a recipe book called "The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner". It inspired me to make a weekly menu and shop for needed ingredients at the beginning of the week. With a menu and needed ingredients on hand, making dinner is SOOOOO MUUUUCH more enjoyable!! :D
The author, Liz Edmunds, wants to bring back family dinner time; which is a very important time to spend as a family. Families that have dinner together generally have less "problems". A lot of recipes have a suggested conversation starter for your kids...I believe she has a show now...It's just plain a good idea, but mainly her recipes are awesome! There have only been three recipes I've tried that I didn't love...and I'm hard to please! Overall I've been really happy with the book. So here's the first recipe of hers I'll share...give it a try!

Chicken Tacos
From "The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner" cookbook

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
3 Tbsp chopped onion
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
salt, ground black pepper, garlic salt
12 corn tortillas
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
shredded cheese
sour cream
fresh spinach, thinly sliced
salsa
lime wedges

Heat butter and oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onions and stir until onions are tender and chicken is tender and no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
Decrease the heat to low and stir in the tomato and cilantro. Add water (or chicken broth) if the mixture seems too dry. Season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cook about 2 minutes. Cover and turn off heat.

I've found these are best served with fresh corn tortillas. Your Latino Market year you should have Instant Corn Masa Flour. Directions are on the bag. They're easy to make, but do take a little bit of time to flatten and cook each one. If serving with store-bought tortillas warm them in the microwave.
You can fry your tortillas one-by-one in 3/4 c vegetable oil over medium-high heat, shaping the tortilla as you go.

No comments: