Sunday, April 25, 2010

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Scones


I always thought scones must be difficult to make because I'd only seen them sold in pretty glass displays at bread stores...well, they're not only easy, they're delicious when fresh! They're a fun way to change up breakfast or snack.
There are a lot of recipes out there, but this is my favorite way to make them. I made them this morning. Y-U-M. ;) This recipe makes four. ENJOY!

Chocolate Chip Scones
2 c unsifted self-rising all-purpose flour
-OR-2 c all purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt mixed togehter
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 c vegetable shortening
1/2 c milk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease baking sheet.
2. In large bowl, combine flour and sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In small bowl, combine milk, egg, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients along with chocolate chips and mix with fork until mixture clings together and forms a soft dough.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times. With lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 7-inch round. Cut into 4 wedges.
5. Place scones, 1 inch apart, on greased baking sheet. Pierce tops with tines of fork.
6. In small bowl, lightly beat 1 egg and 1 Tbsp milk. Brush over scones. Mix 2 Tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over scones.
7. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

3 comments:

JillandMauricio said...

okay-so excited for these!! I am loving your blog. I now have dinner for tomorrow-thanks!! Keep up the awesome job.

A Beautiful Life said...

I luv the new pic, how adorable is your family?!?! I like your idea of posting a recipe a day, I want to try some they look delish!!
Good blogging! ;)

Tamara Lyn said...

Thanks, guys! :D Alan's been making fun of me for taking pictures of dinner and posting it on the Internet. HA! :D I'm glad somebody's likin' it!! :D ;)~