Sunday, September 26, 2010

Empowered


My friend once said he went to the movies by himself and it was really an empowering experience. I think that's the word he said, anyway. I thought, "Wow, what a good idea."
A couple days later I drove by the movie theater, by myself, with nothing else to do. I hesitated, wanting to try the experience. I thought it may better myself, if only a little. However, as I imagined people looking at me, sitting there all by myself while waiting for the movie to start I decided I didn't want to be such a depiction of loneliness. What a chicken!
So a couple weeks ago my hubby got a free pass to Hershey Park, a huge amusement park 5 minutes from our home. We were going to get two more tickets, one for him and one for our four year old (and our one year old is still free). Last minute my husband decides it's not "worth it" to buy two more tickets. WELL, I didn't want the ticket to go to waste!
This is the last weekend it's open for the season so yesterday I decided to go by myself. Yes folks, I went to an amusement park by myself. I stood in line by myself and paired myself up with others for the rides, declaring I was a single rider. (It helped me get ahead in line..hehehe...)
It was a much bigger deal than going to the movies, I think, and in the end I feel it helped me not care what others think of me (D&C 30:2), which to me is really important. I had fun, talked to a lot of new people, and was able to do exactly what I wanted to do. It was a life-changing experience, if only a little. ;)

3 comments:

The Robinson's said...

You are so brave!!! I don't think, actually I know that I wouldn't do the movies or an AMUSEMENT PARK by myself. Good for you!

Take care!

JillandMauricio said...

That is awesome. I go out to eat at sit down places with my kids, because-hey at least I am not alone. I had a friend who would always do movies by him self. I think amusement park is pretty daring-way to go!!

The Aussie and the Owl said...

What a great idea! Good for you - I'm glad it was such a good experience :)