Friday, February 11, 2011

Top Gun does not equal top fun...

Last night I saw Top Gun for the first time. Yep, it's true. I hadn't seen it in my whole 32 years of life until last night. I watched it with some girl friends for our weekly movie night. I have to say, I laughed. A lot.
I mean, were people really so awkward in the 80's? Did women really stand with on foot on the table and their butts in the air, trying to look sexy? And Tom Cruise HAD to have spent some time in front of a mirror before filming, trying to decide which stick-his-butt-out pose was the best. Because he used the same one quite a few times.
He's probably poking his butt out in this picture.
His acting was only half what it is now (I have to say, for all his flaws--and who doesn't have at least a little bit of the crazies?--I love most of his movies). And his lover? Bleck! Kelly McGillis wasn't UGLY, but c'mon. She was 50 years older than him and her teeth looked like they were rotting out of her face. I think she looks much better now as an elderly woman!

See?...but maybe it's just because her mouth is closed.
This was best part of the movie. Sad. Why don't I love it? Probably b/c I never fell in love with it in the 80's when it was "cool" and Tom Cruise was "hot". Don't get me wrong. Overall it was a good movie--and I got sad when his friend died just like the next person--but I don't see myself running to my local Walmart and adding it to my collection. For me, Top Gun does not equal top fun.

No comments: