Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kids say the darndest things...

Christian (my 4 year old) is starting to say the funniest things. :D I thought I'd share a couple from yesterday and today...
Yesterday we were driving home from a fun time at Hershey Chocolate World and Miles (2 yrs old) saw a hawk soaring through the air. "You see a bird?" I acknowledged, just to let him know I was listening. "That's cool."
"Did you run it over with the car?" Christian asked, "Because that would be funny."
"No," I said slowly. "Do you know what would happen to the bird if I hit it with the car?"
"Yes," he said demonically. "It would die. And that would be funny."
Though I was growing slightly concerned, wondering where he got the idea of killing animals with the car, I also had to turn my head to hide my smile. He's the most sensitive kid; he'd probably cry for days if we killed an animal.
I thought I'd illustrate the seriousness of the situation by sharing a story. "One time Daddy and I were driving and a bunny rabbit ran under our car and we ran it over. We were very sad because he hurt it."
"I wouldn't be sad," he said. "I would say, 'That was funny. Ha-ha-ha!'"" throwing his head back and fake laughing. Like the crazy Mr. Hyde. I had to turn my head again before proceeding to explain that Heavenly Father created all creatures and it's a sad thing when one dies needlessly. We kill them for food, but death is never funny. He would not be swayed.
This morning he apparently changed from Mr. Hyde back to the nicer Dr Jekyll because he woke me by curling up to me in my bed and giving me a kiss on the cheek. "Mommy, you're such a beautiful girl," he said sweetly.
I said, "Thank you, Christian. That was very nice. You're pretty handsome yourself."
He thought for a moment then said, "I'm beautiful too. Want to know why? 'Cause I'm almost a beautiful girl just like you."
"You mean you'll be a beautiful girl when you grow up?"
"Yes," he said with a smile, tickling my neck with his little fingers.
I told him that he would be a handsome man, just like Daddy. He wouldn't believe me and changed the subject by starting an argument, insisting he loves me more than I love him.. :D It was so dang cute. I wish he could wake me up that way EVERY morning! :D

No comments: