Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gettysburg and an ignorant Cali girl

We went to Gettysburg yesterday with my husband's parents. It was awesome! I came to realize one thing....

I am an ignoramus. I took history like everyone else (as little as possible because, you know, zzzzzzzzzzzz) and not much stuck with me...except Harriet Tubman who conducted the underground railroad and Rosa Parks who sat at the front of the bus. :D You go girls! But how TERRIBLE that I didn't even really know what the civil war was about!
Tarrifs...the north (Union) were basically stealing from the south (Confederates)...in the end Pres. Lincoln made it seem like the war was about slavery.
All in all I'm very glad I had such an awesome and educational experience!

We got to see them do cool reenactments of military drills...they fired their old-fashioned guns and marched around. I asked one of them men about the war, asking stupid questions, and I felt like such a DUMB California blond. DUH! Alan told me to read a book, making sure I felt as dumb as possible. (He's really good at that sometimes.) ;) I do need to read up on my history, since I actually WANT to learn now! :)~

This is the Pennsylvania monument, by far the biggest one (I think they just might be biased.) I actually felt a little proud of that monument...after all, I am living in Pennsylvania now. :D

2 comments:

JillandMauricio said...

There is a book called don't know much about history-there is also some dummies books for history. I am not trying to make you feel dumb, but they break things down pretty good. I know nothing. My husband loves to quiz me on things and remind me I know nothing-haha!!

Tamara Lyn said...

LOL! I should seriously check it out. :D I will when I get a chance (if I can get a library card w/out getting a PA drivers license!). :D